Wednesday, February 14, 2018

A Valentine's Day Story


And that’s true love….
  

      N i n e t e e n  y e a r  
o l d  Makayla laughed cheerfully has she made her way up to her friend, Bonnie Tyson, standing on the sidewalk by the newspaper box. The afternoon sun was shining brightly on the small town of Susanville.
 Susanville had to be one of the smallest towns around in 1966. Everyone knew everyone else’s business, and if they didn’t, the town gossips made sure they did.
 “It’s about time you got here.” Bonnie laughed playfully. “I have to get my shoes for the dance tonight and I couldn’t do that without my dearest, best, and most cherished friend along.”
 Makayla rolled her eyes. “Oh well, she’s here now. And no worries. We’ll find those shoes and you’ll look like a star walking into that barn dance tonight. Say how serious are you and Frankie?” Makayla asked the question but she knew the answer. Her best friend had recently, a month to be exact, started seeing a new boy to town, Frankie Avalon . And no, he wasn’t the Frankie Avalon, he just happened to have the same name. But his bright red hair and freckles definitely confirmed he wasn’t the famous young singer.
 “Yes, we’re very serious.” She tilted her head to the side and eyed Makayla with sad eyes. “Do you approve?”
 Makayla took a deep breath. “Of course. Frankie is a swell man.” Makayla sighed. “I just don’t want to lose my best friend.”
 Bonnie smiled warmly. “You won’t.”
 Makayla moved forward and entwined her arm with Bonnie and the two turned to begin walking. “Well, anyway you’ll get married soon. He’ll propose tonight.”
 “Don’t be silly, it’s much too soon.”
 “Sort relationships aren’t that uncommon. Mr. Avalon will propose tonight at the dance.”
 Bonnie laughed as the two made their way to the shoe store.
 All the girls in Susanville were running around to get primped and ready. Makayla enjoyed a good dance. But the thing Makayla didn’t want was love.
 Love had been painful for her.
 Some could make her work. She knew Bonnie and Frankie would. But her parents hadn’t made it work. What made her think she could every make it work? Nothing in her did think she could.
 When she was five her momma had left. Her daddy and momma had fought for days. And then she was gone.
 She had cried while her small frame sat on the oak stairs in their two story home.
 “Why did she leave daddy? I thought you two loved each other.”
 Dad had tears in her eyes. “We-e did.”
 “But I thought love didn’t give up? So is there no such thing as love?”
 Her Dad briefly closed his eyes, a tear escaping. He opened them and scooted closer and put his arm around her. “It doesn’t. Love never fails and never gives up. Just believe that. Your momma and I… we just couldn’t make it work. We did love each other. But please don’t think there’s no love. Or don’t think you’ll never love. Love is beautiful, Makayla, beautiful.”
 Somehow Makayla had never been able to grasp onto those words.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Music sound in the ladies ears as they entered into the barn decorated with Chenese lanterns.
 “You really should have gone with Frankie tonight.” Makayla stated as the girls stood at the entrance gazing over the many folks gathered.
 “No I shouldn’t have.” Bonnie said in a matter of fact manner. “I wanted to come with you. I told Frankie I’d meet up with him after I had spent some time with you.”
 “Hello ladies.” Frankie came up and greeted them with smile. “You both look stunning. And don’t worry, Makayla. I’ll have patience and try not to steal away your best friend right away.”
 Everyone laughed and Frankie excused himself.
The girls walked over to the snack table and both filled up glasses with punch.
 “I have to say.” Makayla admitted with mischief to her voice. Her eyes sparkled as she starred forward. “Frankie is being pretty patient to get you for the evening and then purpose.”
 “Oh Makayla, He’s not purposing tonight. Stop it!”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  Makayla escaped outside after Frankie had swept Bonnie into a dance.
 Makayla felt a pang to her heart. They didn’t seem afraid of love. How were they so sure they could make it work?
 Makayla breathed in the night air and was lost in her thoughts for a moment.
 She didn’t even noticed when a young man walked past and then stopped and turned back around, looking at her. He wasn’t dressed like most men tonight. He wore jeans and a button down shirt. On His feet He wore cowboy boots, a white cowboy hat sat on his head.
 “Don’t like dancing much?”
 It took Makayla a moment to be brought from her thoughts. She turned slightly and frowned. “Of course. But I like fresh air too.” She lifted her chin. And took a quick moment to study the man in front of her. His brown eyes were kind and sincere. His black hair escaped from under is hat and rested nicely on his tan forehead.
 He stared a moment before smiling. “Okay.”
 He turned to go into the barn when she moved forward. “What do you think I’m some wallflower or something?”
 He looked surprised she would even say that. She was surprised herself.
 “No, I don’t think that at all. I hope you know you’re a lovely and priceless woman.” He turned and walked into the dance.
 Makayla stood there stunned. Somehow, his words warmed her heart. And… convicted her.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Makayla sat on her bed upstairs, starring out of the window. The bright summer air made its way to her and danced with her hair.
 She felt confused. Guilty for the way she had acted towards the stranger last night.
 She felt something in her heart urging her to change.
 “Hey.”
 She didn’t have to turn to know that Bonnie had entered her room.
 She smiled softly. “Hey.”
 Bonnie positioned Makayla’s desk chair in front of her and sat down.
 “You went home early last night. We missed you.”
 “I know. I’m sorry. I should have been there to congratulate you after Frankie proposed.”
 Bonnie slowly lifted her lips into a smile. “Yeah. It’s okay.”
 “He did purpose, didn’t he?”
 Bonnie nodded.
 Makayla reached forward and squeezed her friends hand in excitement.
 “What’s wrong, Makayla?”
 Makayla moved her hand away. “There was a man that talked to me at the dance last night. He wasn’t from around here and He dressed like a cowboy. He was so kind. And I was so mean to him. It’s really convicted me. I’ve been so afraid of love that I’m rude to every man I meet. And they aren’t even acting romantic towards me. And… there’s something about him. I don’t know. I just wish I could apologize.” She finished with a lower of her head.
 Bonnie was quite a moment before speaking. “A cowboy you say. I hear there’s one eating lunch at the diner.” Makayla slowly lifted her head. “I bet if you hurry you could make it.”
 Makayla blinked.
 Bonnie motioned her head towards the door. “Go on. Run girl.”
 Makayla jumped up and hugged her friend before running from the room and down the stairs. She ran the whole way through her neighborhood and into town. She burst into the diner breathlessly. She looked around quickly as she skied to a stop. There he was.
 He looked at her with a cock of his head, surprise in his eyes.
 She slowly walked up, panting hard from her run. “Hey. Do you mind?” She nodded toward the chair.
 He stood and motioned his hand to the seat. “Of course.”
 She sat down and He followed suit.
 He waited patiently for her to speak.
 Finally she blurted it out. “I’m so sorry for the way I acted last night. That’s what I wanted to say. I acted rude. I um-I’m afraid of love. My momma left my dad a long time ago and every since then I’ve been afraid I couldn’t make love work. I totally understand you weren’t speaking to my in that kind of way. It’s just being afraid of love has made me act rude to every man. I-I’m sorry this doesn’t even make since, I know.” She sighed heavily from her effort to explain.
 He waited a moment then spoke, with such kindness in his voice. “You’re afraid to love because you think you won’t make it work like your momma and daddy couldn’t?”
 She nodded.
 “Do you know what love is?”
 She went to answer but stopped, sudden realizations coming to her heart.
 “What true love is?”
 She stared at him. A frown on her face. Tears brimmed the back of her eyelids.
 He leaned forward, folding his hands in front of her. Passion was in his eyes. “True love is Jesus Christ. True love is the love He gives each one of us. The love He manifested to us while dying the cross. True love is the love He gives us daily. True love is the fact that He loved us while we were yet sinners. True love is the fact that He keeps loving us even when we don’t deserve it. That He died for us is true love. That is true love. Love that doesn’t give up.” He reached under the table and retrieved a warn Bible, he then scooted it closer to her on the table. “Read this. Learn what Love is. Be fulfilled in Love itself. And then, I’ll think you’ll learn how to love. No love is perfect but God’s. But you can try, as you go along, and ask God, you’ll learn to love more and more. And how to love more.” He stood and grabbed his hat from the table. “I’ve got to leave town now. I hope you know how much you are loved.”
 He then walked away.
 The tears escaped as she shakily reached forward and took the Bible. A longing surged in her to know God’s love. Sure, she went to church and all. But she really wanted to know God’s love.
 She felt her walls breaking as she hugged the Bible to her chest.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 1 year later
 It was another bright summer day as Makayla walked out of her white house. She glanced at a flower dancing in the wind. It reminded her of God’s love. Lots of things reminded her of God’s love since she had learned of it. Since He broke down her walls of fears. She wasn’t afraid of love. She praised God for that.
 And now she was waiting for God to bring along the man she would love for the rest of her life.
 She turned out of her driveway and headed down the street. She was on her way to see her friend Bonnie Avalon at the diner. Yes, Frankie and Bonnie had gotten married a month after he purposed. Now the couple was expecting their first child. Makayla knew it would be a girl.
 Makayla knew the couple truly loved each other. And she learned a lot from just watching her friends. There was nothing they wouldn’t do for each other. They gave to each other daily. Sure, they made mistakes. But they always forgave and went on together.
 She entered town and walked on the sidewalk the diner was on.
 As she walked she noticed someone standing by the newspaper box. She cocked her head. He was dressed… western. And he was looking around the town-as if searching for someone.
 Her heart beat rapidly. Was that….
 She neared closer and he turned her way.
 His eyes were so kind. Just like they were before.
 He stuffed his hands in his jeans and smiled. “Hey.”
 She inhaled. “Hey.”
 “It’s been awhile.”
 “Yeah it has.”
 “Did you find out about love?”
 She smile and gave a little chuckle. “Yeah I did.”
 He smiled and moved closer, he gently took her hands. “Good. And now, I know that True Love led me to you. So, now, I’m here.”

7 comments:

Welcome to my blog! Thanks for stopping by! Your're always welcome here! I hope you have had a load of fun and receive a blessing from God! Know you ARE SO LOVED by Jesus today! I so enjoy comments and mostly always answer them back!

That NOTHING can stand against

*this is a post I did on my social media accounts* 🎶Oh, yes I will, lift You high in the lowest valley Yes I will, bless Your name O...