Monday, February 13, 2017

Image result for 1800 ball gowns The Guest of Honor at the Ball
By: Beth H.

1875

   Betsy rode along the dirt path deep in thought. The weather was warm for February which made the long ride more pleasant.
 Betsy Williams smiled to herself. A Valentine’s Day Ball. Such an event was quite extravagant for the small town of Myer’s Corner. Normally they would have had a normal dance for Valentine’s Day, but this year the board had voted for a ball instead. “It will be a chance for the ladies to dress up in beautiful gowns and have the experience of a lifetime. But we’ll keep it in a family environment so everyone feels included and has fun,” Mrs. Kampar had said at the board meeting.
 Betsy was quite excited for the event. Her thoughts drifted to walking into the boarding house, where the ball was being held, on the arm of her newlywed husband, Andy.
 She had to start making a dress right away. She didn’t really have any dresses that you would wear to a ball.
 I think I’ll wear my hair in a bun, with some of my black curls loose, Betsy mused in her mind.
 Betsy was jarred out of her thoughts when she neared the Smith’s small cabin. The small farm was very quiet, save a few sounds of animals.
 Her fairytale was replaced with worry when she pulled her horse to a stop and dismounted. Mrs. Smith hadn’t been recovering the fastest since her fall and Betsy was very concerned.
 Betsy retrieved from her horse her doctor bag that hung on the saddle horn. Betsy was truly in love with being a doctor. It was hard going getting to that point but she had made it. She had survived three years in medical school with only men as classmates, who continually degraded her and teased her. But all that was worth it because now she freely practiced medicine. Although at some times it was still hard; women doctors weren’t heard of and people had trouble expecting her.
 “Hello, Mr. Smith,” she called out cheerfully as she neared the old man.
 Mr. Smith smiled as he walked up to her. “Howdy, doc, come to see the old lady.”
 “Yup. Is she better you think?”
 Mr. Smith nodded, a distant look in his eyes. “Yeah. I think so, miss. She’s sitting on the back porch seeing as it’s a warmer day.” Mr. Smith smiled, his green eyes shining.
 Betsy returned his smile. “Well then, I’ll just go have a look at her.”
 Mr. Smith lowered his head. “Do you think she’ll get better, miss?”
 Betsy shifted. She prayed everyday she would recover. “I hope so, Mr. Smith.”
 Mr. Smith lifted his head. “Me, too. I really love that old lady. She’s been with me seventy-four years coming up this Valentine’s Day. She looked after our ten children,” he signed heavily. “She’s been good to me.”
 Betsy swallowed hard. Oh, God, please help her. “We need to have faith Mr. Smith.”
 Mr. Smith nodded. “I’ve been trying.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  “Hey, honey, how was Mrs. Smith?” Andy’s bright voice jarred Betsy out of her thoughts.
 She smiled from behind her desk. “Better, I think.”
 Andy grinned as he sat on the edge of her desk. “Great.”
 Betsy stared at her husband for a moment. She was truly blessed to have this man in her life. He loved God and loved her. They were really perfect for each other. Andy was one of the town’s local deputies; they also owned a ranch together. Andy and her characteristics were a lot alike. Betsy was a different kind of lady then most women in the town. She wore a gun at her side and jeans most all the time. Andy loved her that way.
 Betsy sighed. “Mr. Smith does seem so sad. He really loves her.” Andy nodded right as the door to Betsy clinic busted opened.
 Mr. Smith was breathing heavily. “Come quick, miss, she’s fallen again.”


 Betsy slowly walked out of the small bedroom into the kitchen. Mr. Smith looked up from his place at the table. Andy was leaning against the door.
 “She’s resting, Mr. Smith.”
 Mr. Smith let out a deep sigh. “Oh, I thought I’d lost her.”
 Betsy swallowed hard. “She’s stable. We need to keep praying.”
 Mr. Smith nodded and was silent for a moment. He sighed again as he ran his hand through his white hair. He reached down and pulled an old piece of paper from his overalls pocket.
 “Andy, I hope you’re always able to give Betsy her dreams,” Mr. Smith muttered as tears brimmed around his eyes.
 Betsy cast Andy a worried look. Andy leaned forward. “What do you mean?”
 “My little old lady always had dreams. She dreamed of being a princess, of being the quest of honor at a fancy ball. She dreamed of walking in on my arm.” He ran his hand over old piece of paper. “She cut this dress out of a catalog a long time ago; she said it was her dream dress.” He closed his eyes. “I promised her I’d take her one day. But it looks like that’ll never happen.”
 Tears brimmed Betsy eyes as she looked at Andy.


 “Andy, it’s not right. It’s not right that Mr. Smith can’t give his wife her dream.” Betsy stated as they dismounted their horses in front of her clinic.
 Andy nodded. “I know: it’s real sad.”
 Betsy shook her head. Then it hit her. “Andy! Why can’t we let Mr. Smith give her her dream?”
 Andy folded his arms. “What do you mean?”
 “The ball! The Valentine’s Day ball! We could make her the guest of honor. And some of the girls and me could sew her dream dress. I’m gonna talk to the board!” Betsy turned and headed down the street.
 “Hey, that’s a great!” Andy called after her as she headed down the street.



  “This is the sweetest love story I’ve ever heard.” Mary, Betsy’s friend, said as she stitched on the ball gown. The gown was a bit outdated but it was Mrs. Smith dream and Betsy couldn’t wait for her to wear it.
 Betsy smiled. “Mr. Smith couldn’t believe it when we told him. He’s keeping it a secret from Mrs. Smith.”
 “Will she be recovered by then?”
 Betsy nodded slowly as she stitched. “She’s getting better. I think it’ll be okay.”
Mary exhaled deeply. “I’m just glad she’s getting her dream.”



 Mrs. Smith looked up from her rocking chair at her husband with a smile: her blue eyes shining. “Hello, dear.”
 He knelt down and took her hands. “Little old lady. We’ve got somewhere to go tonight. So why don’t you go on and get dressed. I have a dress laying out for you on the bed”
 Mrs. Smith frowned. “Oh, what are you talking about, old man?”
 “Come on, honey.”
 Mrs. Smith came along hesitantly. He led her into their room, steadying her elbow. She gasped as she saw her dream dress laid out over the bed.
 “Honey, it’s my dress. What’s going on?”
 He smiled. “Now you just get dressed, honey. We’ve got a ball to go to.”



 Betsy watched as the couple pulled up in front of the boarding house. Tears filled her eyes as she saw Mrs. Smith in her beautiful ball gown being helped off the wagon by her husband. Its pink material flowed beautifully around her as she walked toward the boarding house doors.
 Betsy turned around to the many men dressed in suits and ladies in gowns. “They’re here!”
 Two young men opened the doors to the ball area and the couple walked into the room. The glow of the many candles made Mrs. Smith’s pink gown reflect beautifully.
 “The guest of honor: Mr. and Mrs. Smith.” One of the boys that opened the door, announced.
 Tears dripped down Mrs. Smith’s cheek as she looked around the room. “I can’t believe it,” she said as she turned to her husband. “Thank you, oh, thank you, darling.” She slipped into his embrace. “You gave me my dream.”
 Mr. Smith tightened his arms around her. “I love you, old lady.”
 Betsy wiped at her own tears as Andy walked up beside her and put his arms around her.
 Mr. Smith stepped away from his wife. “Now, Mrs. Smith, may I have this dance?” He asked as he took her hand.
 She smiled. “Of course, Mr. Smith.”
 He kissed her hand before taking her into his arms. Her skirt swished as he spun her into a dance….


        
        The End

12 comments:

  1. I was so excited when you told me before-hand about this story, and it really was great! What a wonderful, sweet story, and I'm so glad Mrs. Smith got her dream!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww that's was such a sweet story, Beth! Thank you for sharing! Happy Valentines Day! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much!! Glad u liked it!! Happy Valentine's Day!

      Delete
  3. Aww Beth, this was beautiful! What a sweet story! Best love story I've ever heard in my life!
    Thanks for sharing! This was beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww Thanks so much!!!! I'm glad you liked it!!

      Delete
  4. Aw this was such a great story, Beth! Happy Valentine's Day! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Bella!! Happy Valentine's Day!!

      Delete
  5. I think it was very sweet and I love Mr. Smith! (and not to mention Betsy and Andy!)
    Is.53:5, Phil.4:13, #UNASHAMED, heresclo.blogspot.com, YouTube channel-Becky Coleman's Badge, Website-http://givegodtheglory.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my blog! Thanks for stopping by! Your're always welcome here! I hope you have had a load of fun and receive a blessing from God! Know you ARE SO LOVED by Jesus today! I so enjoy comments and mostly always answer them back!

That NOTHING can stand against

*this is a post I did on my social media accounts* 🎶Oh, yes I will, lift You high in the lowest valley Yes I will, bless Your name O...